Monica made these cookies for a few of our holiday staff get-togethers, and they pack some punch! Try making these at home to add a gingery kick to your December. Enjoy them with tea, coffee or something stronger. 😉
Monica’s Spicy Ginger Cookies – makes 20-24 cookies
1 cup whole wheat flour
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon*
½-1 tsp nutmeg*
2 tsp ginger*
¼ tsp salt
¼ vegan butter
½ cup golden brown sugar
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
¼-½ cup water (as needed)
*make that a heaping one
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees celsius
- Gently cream sugar and “butter” and coconut oil.
- Add molasses and combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and sift chunks.
- Combine wet & dry ingredients.
- Roll dough into palm-dome sized balls and dip most crackly side with sugar (sugared side will be top of cookie)
- Place on baking tray lined with parchment and oiled; separate by minimum 2 inches.
- Bake until puffed (they will deflate as they cool!)
- Let cool for 10 minutes and
Monica has been exploring yoga since 2007 and completed her 200-hour Teacher Training at Queen Street Yoga in 2014. You can always find Monica on Friday mornings behind the desk at Queen Street Yoga, ready to answer any and all of your questions about being a student at the studio. She loves to garden, and enjoys deep conversations about plants, the Earth, and sustainable agriculture. She is also a tattoo collector, with many more to come.